LAW FIRM PROCESS TO REGISTER WITH THE FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY ("FIA")
Members of the Bar must attest on on their Practicing Certificate ("PC") application (form) that the law firm is registered with the Financial Intelligence Agency as follows:
Extract from PC application form:
4B. ☐ I am registered with the Financial Intelligence Agency for the purpose of making disclosures under section 46(A1) of the 1997 Act or –
☐ (a) the firm of which I am a partner or an employee /
☐ (b) the professional company of which I am a partner or employee is registered with the Financial Intelligence Agency for such purpose / or
☐ (c) I am not in private practice and do not advise the public.
The following steps will assist members firms with the registration process:
- Complete the application form online via the FIA website: https://www.fia.bm/newregistration.html
- The registration process is a one-off requirement. However, entities are required to let the FIA know of any changes to their Money Laundering Reporting Officer. Usually this happens by way of email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- There is no registration fee.
- All firms that register with the FIA receive a confirmation email with an ID# attached. Please keep this ID# as a part of your internal records.
- The FIA will supply the Bar Office with a list of registered law firms annually. Please note that the FIA does not publish the listing.